FSTD Refresher/Abbreviated Course
The objective of this course is to introduce managers and administrators to the task of Flight Simulation Training Device – FSTD (flight simulator) evaluations and qualifications. It is also very applicable for previous graduates of one of our full courses who wish to get refresher training on the latest regulations and technology being used, and also learn about what changes are likely to happen in the future.
This course is usually run concurrently with our 5-day or 6-day FSTD Evaluators courses and addresses the key items needed to understand the regulations, standards, processes and document requirements for commercial FSTD operations, and what can be used for military FSTD operations.
This course also aims at introducing Regulatory Authority Inspectors and personnel of Operators or FSTD Manufacturers, who may be responsible for management or administration of FSTD’s. Training will be provided in the interpretation and implementation of current regulations and standards related to FSTD’s. We make sure that students comprehend how and why we conduct evaluations and qualifications in the manner established, which means the intent of the whole process is understood, not just what is written in the regulations and standards.
This course is a good foundation for prospective evaluators. You get to learn from a team of experts, and the benefit of their many years of experience.
To become a qualified NAA / EASA Inspector other requirements must be met that are, currently, set by the individual NAA. Most NAA’s require their inspectors to have completed the TTI 5-day or 6-day course, or a similar one, as part of their training towards being recognised as an inspector.
Should your requirements be greater, including hands-on training and practice of QTG checks and the analysis of results, you may wish to consider our 5-day or 6-day FSTD Evaluators course. Click here for more details…
This 3 day course is classroom-oriented and is a study of the Joint Aviation Requirements (JAR-FSTD) covering the qualification of all FSTD. The study ranges from the Full Flight Simulator, through Flight Training Devices, Flight & Navigation Procedure Trainers to Other Training Devices such as Basic Instrument Training Devices.
During this phase the student is also given the opportunity to work with Qualification Test Guides (QTG) from actual FSTD and to review the requirements of a Compliance Monitoring/Quality System for FSTD, that is a part of the qualification process. Both fixed-wing and rotary-wing requirements are covered.
- The origin, development and transition to current regulations and standards
- The historical function, structure and responsibilities of the JAA & EASA vs. other National Aviation Authorities (NAA’s)
- Not just the Rules & Standards and where to find them, we focus on the intent of them and how they work together.
- The differences between EASA, FAA and JAR Rules & Standards and how to deal with AMC situations.
- FSTD Joint Implementation Procedures (JIP)—the principle and methodology of Standardization Teams.
- All related documentation for the evaluation and qualification of a FSTD
- The regulatory document format and the use of its parts for all items including the intent of the Regulations.
- Qualification Test Guide (QTG) requirements and their relationship to Acceptance Test Guides
- The process and good practices for running QTG’s
- Planning a Qualification evaluation.
- Visual systems tests using test patterns and equipment.
- Review of the requirements of a Compliance Monitoring/Quality System with practical examples of an approved CMM.
- FSTD Data issues: “flown” data, substitute data, engineering data.
- Regulatory requirements for updating, modifying or moving FSTD’s
- Special issues related to helicopter FSTD’s
- ICAO 9625 issue 3 and above development, it’s implications, and what must be done to adopt these guidelines
- Future developments in both technology, standards and regulations
Should your requirements be additional, including hands-on training and practice of QTG checks and the analysis of results, you may wish to consider our 5-day or 6-day FSTD Evaluators course.
Please click here to view details of our full FSTD Evaluators course
The intended audience for our full FSTD Evaluators’ Courses are as follows:
- Authority personnel, with emphasis on staff responsible for FSTD evaluations and qualifications
- FSTD Operator personnel and others who are responsible for FSTD evaluations and qualifications, or require familiarization with the process and regulations of FSTD evaluations and qualifications
- FSTD manufacturing Industry personnel in general, but with emphasis on the evaluation and qualification of FSTD
- Training Organizations that have regulatory responsibilities for the fidelity and qualification of FSTD
- Military personnel responsible for the evaluation/fidelity of FSTD
- Individuals involved with the preparation of specifications and acquisition of FSTD’s
- Individuals wishing to learn more about the Quality Management & Compliance Monitoring system requirements of FSTD qualifications
Although it is not a pre-requisite, to obtain the greatest value from the course, it is of benefit for the intending student to have a background in flight simulation, or some regulatory, pilot, or simulator engineering experience. The course is recognized by most National Aviation Authorities and the JAA-TO as providing an essential part of the training for National Authority Inspectors. It is promoted as a means of harmonizing the criteria and implementation of the regulations between different nations. Successful completion of the course will result in the award of a TTI certificate which can be endorsed by the JAA-TO.
Piloting experience is not required, but can be a valuable attribute.
Our courses are conducted at various locations in the world according to the preferences of the majority of the students registered at one time, and where we can arrange access to suitable FSTD’s and a classroom. We typically choose flight crew training centers such as those at Cathay Pacific Airlines in Hong Kong, the FSC Training Centre in Amsterdam, OAA Academy in Gatwick, FSI in Farnborough, AgustaWestland in Sesto, Italy, and Emirates-CAE Training Centre at Dubai, UAE. Take a look at our Graduates page to see where we have conducted our courses world-wide…
Accommodation & Transportation
At many of the locations we run courses, the FSTD operator has arranged special accommodation and ground transportation deals with a local hotel. When available, these are offered by the training centre we use, not TTI. If requested, TTI will advise these recommendations and how to make reservations for them. Please note that TTI cannot make reservations for you as these arrangements are solely through the training centre we use. Also, payment for these must be made by the individual student.
The documentation provided with the course will provide each student with a copy of each of the EASA, FAA and JAR regulatory documents covering fixed and rotary wing aircraft. We provide these in electronic format with custom bookmarks for easy searching, plus one each of TTI’s custom hard copy of EASA Rules & EASA CS-FSTD small format booklets. In addition the student will receive a copy of Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the Royal Aeronautical Society’s “Simulator Evaluator’s Handbook” as applicable to current rules, plus the Student Notes specially produced by TTI which contains thumbnails of every presentation slide used by instructors.
3 day course €1850
Price is per student inclusive of all materials.
Prices may vary in some locations due to changes in costs and will be quoted on a case by case basis.
We request pre-payment of the course fees by electronic transfer, details for this will be provided on our invoice.
Courses can also be planned, negotiated and priced at a venue of your choosing. Discounts for volume may be available upon request.
Please be aware that due to our having to commit to non-refundable expenses some considerable time prior to running our courses, such as simulator rental, we must invoke a cancelation policy. Details of this policy can be found by clicking here...